So, what do you need for this trip across your tastebuds? The list here is for 2 people, so expand as needed:
- 4oz of your meat of choice (chicken, beef, shrimp, etc.)
- 1 tbsp peanut oil (other high smoke point oils are fine)
- 1 cup of fresh bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup of sliced mushrooms (pick your favourites)
- 1/2 cup of green onion, just the green portion. Cut about 1" long. You can save the white bulbs for other purposes if you want.
- 1/2 cup of julienned carrots
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp ginger, minced
- 1 tsp sherry
- 3 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- ground pepper to taste
- Cooked pasta for 2 (I actually use asian wheat noodles, but you can use fettuccine or similar)
Using a wok or a deep skillet, bring to high heat and add the oil. When shimmering, add the garlic, ginger, and meat. Stir fry for 1 minute.
Add all of the mixed vegetables and stir fry for another 1 to 2 minutes. Basically, until the veggies are heated through.
Add the previously cooked noodles (I usually make them while chopping the veggies) and stir fry for another 1-2 minutes.
Add the sherry, soy, oyster sauce, and pepper (hint: Mix sauce items up before starting the cooking, makes it easy to add). Mix well and then drizzle on the sesame oil.
Serve and enjoy! As an aside, the finished lo mein in the wok at the top of the post has grilled steak in it. I still did the stir fry of it for 1 minute and it tasted great!